Monday 29 August 2016

2016 Birdsville Trip Saturday 27 August

Saturday 27th August 2016

Peterborough moved their free camp. How dare they! We could maybe have parked in the old free camp but they let the grass grow so it was a bit too long grassy – if that is a word.

We were hanging out last night to go to the raffles at the local pub. Bets on we would have won a meat tray as our freezer is chocka block. It was however absolutely freezing and the pub 2 km down the road and we would have had to walk. Husband had no energy. Could not say I was jumping out of my skin after a 4 hour driving stint so we stayed in. It was so cold outside that I decided sending Greg out to cook things was unkind so I did it all in the van. Splendidly I might add but the smoke alarm kept going off as there was so much steam. Mashed spuds, steamed veggies and marinated chicken fillet.

Greg had an early night and I started this part of the blog which documents our travel. No heating in the van when we aren’t plugged in so when I was about frozen, went to bed. My goodness it was a cold night indeed. Even my hot water bottle struggled.

The next morning was sunny – then cloudy – then sunny again. Still absolutely freezing with a gentle breeze so the sun’s warm rays were not felt! I needed to have some exercise so forget the shorts – found tracky dax got kitted up and hit the road. Had a great time. Lovely town Peterborough.

Hadn’t done my abs and back exercises so decided to this also . Whist I was doing sit ups on the other side of the van I noticed a woman who didn’t see me approach our van and knock on the door. Curious, I could only see dress boots, a long dress and a long coat. Looked like an old fashioned missionary.
When I had finished my workout, I asked husband who that was and what did she want – she was a religious supporter spreading the good news of the Lord.
She did the whole caravan park – well who was left as many of the grey nomads are early risers and had left. Leaving her little newsletter. God bless her saving the souls of the wandering caravanners.

Eventually we hit the road – bound for Marree and the marvelous Maree Pub!

Greg was a bit tired so I took the driving early. The drive out of Peterborough is so pretty. The recent rain had inspired the green grass to grow and the road was interesting enough to start with. Gibson was towing well, Lady Cruiser purred along, Greg went to sleep as he was a bit tired still and I listened with my earbuds in –  to the play list that I created out of spotify – the ‘Birdsville playlist!’ Many genres 113 songs on shuffle. It wasn’t long before I was miming the words to so many songs, not making a sound but having a great time as I drove along. Ever vigilant, ever alert, just entertained – for four hours and a half. We stopped in Hawker for a short break. I bought a coffee, made some lunch, refueled and got back on the road. Greg went back to sleep and I drove again.

Hours went by and the shadows started getting long. At Lyndhurst we were going to get some fuel but the service station there was looking a bit dodgy. There were 2 pumps  of ULP out of order- so only one worked and they looked like they had been out of order for a while, and only high flow diesel on offer. Usually suited to trucks and not that good for a 4WD – so we pushed on to Maree as we still had our sub tank and it wasn’t that far. We travelled out of Lyndhurst and ta da. Dirt Road

Dirt roads mean that it is time to take the air out of the tyres in the car and the van and also the stability bars off so the articulating hitch can work better on the uneven terrain. So out of the car with Greg and with the air gauge. He only took a bit out at this stage as the dirt road was very solid and groomed.

One of the places we visited on the last trip to Oodnadatta 2 years ago was Ferina. An old abandoned town that had been left to ruin but had been recently undergoing resteration from some enthusiastic people from Adelaide. We were keen to see if they had progressed. I did mention that it was getting late and that we really didn’t have much time but Greg wanted a quick look so that is what we did. Look. Quickly. Then got out of there.

After turning out of the Ferina township road the road turned back to bitumen so it was stop again, pump up the tyres. Greg only did the ones on the truck this time as the caravan ones weren’t let out as much as they could have been and the ones on the car are new and could ruin running at the wrong pressures. Nevertheless we did take it easy going into Marree. I must say I was very pleased to get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment