Monday 29 August 2016

2016 Birdsville Trip Monday 29 August

Monday 29 August

Another grey and windy day. We got up and Greg immediately started trying to fix the rest of the lights. He gave up but got them connected without the plastic surrounds so we made do to protect it with a zip lock bag and miles of tape. Then we showered in their showers to save our water for Birdsville.

Said goodbye to our new found friends, made a quick phone call on a public phone and were out of there.

The scenery like yesterday would change from gibber rock plains with sparse vegetation to lightly wooded and every now and again would be a wetland. Often with a mob of cattle around it, plump and looking well fed.

It was after 1.30 well after lunch time when we pulled up on the side of the road as there aren’t pull over areas either – to make lunch.
Greg has been on a diet of fruit in the morning and salad for lunch so I made him a salad – fiddly thing. He wanted Tuna in it which he put in and started eating in the car.
Tuna STINKS!
It stinks when you eat it at work and it stinks the car out when you eat it in the car. Greg is also the world’s slowest eater – so it stank the car out for ages! I had to open the window and contain myself for yelling at him ‘hurry up and eat that salad so I can get you to shut the container and put the stink away’. But I didn’t and just sucked air out of the open window.

Then came the interesting part. After the stinking salad had been consumed, container closed and thankfully away -  the road got a little interesting. 

There were low lying fields of water either side of the road – it didn’t take long before the road became boggy. Not wet boggy at this stage. It had been extremely wet and had been driven on creating deep tracks  and pushing the mud into little banks either side of the deep rut. There it had somewhat dried and other people had made tracks through that so there was a path – narrow enough for a 4wd and not quite wide enough for the caravan so one had to be fairly precise about where the wheels on the car and van were going. This was interesting and fun to begin with but after an hour, just wanted it end!

By the hour and a half mark, there were no places to pull over and change drivers plus by then I had a guy catch up to me also towing a van but a DICK who tail gated through the mud. Followed by 2 mates in 4wd vehicles. All up my Gibson and putting pressure on me to go faster. I was going as fast as I dared for the road. As well as following in the tracks, there were dips and holes which needed to be slowed down for. If I had needed to stop suddenly dopey on my tail would have run into me.

This continued for another hour. I was getting really tired as the concentration was intense – so Greg found on our playlist the ‘Convoy’ song to cheer us all up. It worked! Hilarious – middle of nowhere going breakneck speed over lumpy dirt with 3 cars behind me.

Eventually and just before the Queensland border the mud finished and the track was broad and smooth again. Dickheads 1 to 3 tore past me in a hurry showering us with stones, threatening to break the windscreen.

Hope they have the most crap holiday EVER.


Hooray made it off the track in one piece – bar the van electrics. Next thing is to find a camp along the Diamentina river.
The T intersection that leads off the track ends at the racecourse. So at east we know where that is now.
Right near there is the dumping station. This was very important also as our loo needed emptying.

There were a couple of guys with a pump truck at the station when I rolled up with my cassette on wheels with our toilet inside so I thought I would be hilarious and say to them – this is another word for a ‘wee walk’!
Don’t think I will make it as a stand up comedian just yet.
Dumped the loo and the guy asked if I had chosen the short straw – I explained that my husband dry retches when he does the loo emptying so I just do it. They were impressed.
Loo emptied – which was a concern as we could not free camp with it being full, we found the free camps along the river.

Now this was trickier than you may think as we want a spot for a Gibson, 3 camper trailers and another caravan. Harder than you think when the nice on the river campsites could only take a couple of vehicles. However, after a run for me to sus out locations, a 2 way radio conversation, we settled on a freshly graded site not far from the river but one we would all fit with room for kids to play kind of and if it rained it would not be hard to get out of.
Clever us.
We set up camp and relaxed with a coldie.
We have phone reception so could get in touch with people again.

Unexpected Visitor

We barbecued some snags for dinner and were sitting outside by our fire, when I noticed something in the corner of my left eye – approaching us was a snake. Leaving dinner on the table we were quick to hasten into the van – where Greg shone a light on the snake as it ventured closer, curious, lingered and then slithered off into the night. I was surprised at how close it got to the caravan and the fire. It was over 2.5 meters long and Greg identified it as a brown snake. I have never seen a snake at night. This may be where he comes to get dinner and we were camping in his path. It did give us a surprise and I wondered if it would be coming back – wasn’t long after that we retired into the van for the night. Funny that!

Hopefully the traffic with cars, campers and people everywhere building will scare the shakes out to quieter places.




No comments:

Post a Comment