Monday 29 August 2016

2016 Birdsville Trip Friday 26th August


We headed out of Mildura- toward the border.

The border -  where they take all your lovely fresh produce away for destroying.
Happened last time I went there so I was determined not to let that happen again.
Driving into Mildura is temptation on a stick. Farmers with fresh mandarins, oranges, all sorts of produce in side stalls with honesty boxes and you can’t buy any of it because of the South Australian quarantine. You know they are just the best, sweetest, juiciest oranges and produce but can’t buy any of it unless you are going to gorge yourself so there isn’t any left by the border. It was tempting! Overdosing on oranges on a long car trip may not be the best practice so had to resist temptation.

However – I had chopped up and frozen everything I could not casserole and have for a vegetarian lunch – very unpopular with husband am I.
I had only ONE Onion to sacrifice.
And they didn’t want my onion.
Onions the least favorite of my veggies. No wanting my onion. Free to go. So I kept the onion and we moved on. This time the officer who came on board was lovely. Last time, 2 years ago, we had a woman who was very rude. I even thanked her for being so nice and she looked complimented and surprised.

Unfortunately, when we stopped, I received a text from one of my very best friends whom I have known from Kindergarten at primary school. Her mother had passed away. I have known Yvonne, my friend’s Mum  for 44 years. The most generous, kind, loving, caring and giving person I have ever known. She battled cancer and, although was on borrowed time, was not expected to suddenly pass away on her last holiday. She was determined to go to Queensland with her husband – her last holiday. She knew she had just a couple of months left.

Rotten luck – she became ill. They tried surgery and treatment but her body was so frail from the cancer that she was spent a couple of days in palatiave care and peacefully passed away with her family (who did the mad dash from Melbourne) around her.

Absolute devastation for the family and -  like shockwaves through the people that knew and loved her.

My dear Mum and her were best friends.
I just want to be with my friend -  but we are travelling to the middle of Australia. We can’t turn back now – although we could really – but what is the point? Yvonne would have been cross at our cancelling the holiday (gosh would she). My friend would be cross.

My Mum and Dad are going to the funeral as will my Sister. I have to let it go and catch up with her after all the things, the stuff  - and all  - with the death of a loved one. Life for her will resume without the support of her Mum. This will be just awful for such a long time. Yvonne will be so dearly missed it is worth tearing up at the very thought.

We went on to Renmark so we could stock up on fresh fruit and veg– we found the IGA. It was miles away from where we parked the van. Big vans and small country towns can have problems. You end up parking miles away  - there just aren’t enough big long carparks. After shopping we had to walk the trolley about 1.5 km back to the van. That was the end of husband. Energy spent and gone. I had the pleasure of taking the trolley back. Exercise box ticked for the day!
We found a nice café that did a splendid lunch. I was ready for action. My turn to drive.

Himself ready for a snooze, we hit the road – after dumping the toilet in the ‘dump zone’ which is hilarious as it was next to the swimming pool complex. (could not stop thinking about recycling) ha ha. The chick in the tourist info office who told me where it was helpful but didn’t get it. 

Off to Peterborough.

Peterborough free camp.


No comments:

Post a Comment